Here is today’s news on mymix1041.com, sponsored by Toyota of Cleveland:
From WRCB Channel 3…
Chattanooga firefighters evacuated some McCallie School students due to high levels of carbon monoxide found in one of the dorm buildings on Thursday night.
CFD spokesperson Lindsey Rogers says the it started when the CO alarms sounded in the student housing facility around 8:30 p.m.
Firefighters arrived at the scene on Dodds Avenue to find high levels of carbon monoxide in the building and evacuated students.
Rogers says the students were evacuated to the student center to be evaluated by EMS.
Rogers says no injuries or sickness have reported at this time.
As of news time, Rogers says fire crews are searching for the source of the CO while monitoring levels of the gas.
Rogers says the building will be properly ventilated to make sure the air is safe for students and staff.
Also from WRCB Channel 3…
Around 7:00 a.m. Thursday, the Suck Creek Fire Department got a call that a car was on fire in Prentice Cooper State Park.
Firefighters found human remains when they were checking the car. Marion County Detective Blansett says the TBI is the lead in the investigation.
The car was about two miles past the entrance to the wildlife management area off the side of the road. Channel Three asked if there was anything suspicious, Det. Blansett says it’s too early to tell.
If you know anything about this incident, contact the Marion County Sheriff’s Office at 423-942-2525.
From the Chattanoogan…
A former detective who made $354,000 in the “Cream Scheme” is facing sentencing in Federal Court on Monday.
George Striker, who was a detective for the Chattanooga Police Department from 1993 to 1999, faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $250,000. But his guideline sentencing range is 18-24 months.
His attorney, Richard Lee Gaines of Knoxville, is asking that he get probation.
In the locally-based scheme, individuals were recruited to order creams that were billed to insurance companies at rates as high as $15,000 a jar. Striker’s family alone received prescriptions which billed for $1.8 million.